Mechanical Permit

Procedures for Mechanical Permit Applications

Mechanical Permit Applications must be filled out completely and forwarded along with payment to the township administration office. The permit will be reviewed by the Mechanical Inspector.  If the work is being performed by a mechanical contractor, all licenses must be included with the application.  If the application is mailed, a receipt and copy of the permit will be returned by mail.  Applications also may be printed and carried into the office or picked up and processed same day.   

Except for replacement of minor parts, mechanical work shall not be started until a permit for such work has been issued by the township office.

Permits are not required for portable equipment (heating, ventilation, cooling units, evaporative cooler, gas burners with less than 30,000 Btu/hr), self-contained refrigeration equipment and window-type air conditioners of not more than 1.5 hp, and oil burners not requiring connection to a flue (oil stoves, heaters equipped with wick).

A mechanical permit is not required for the installation of a boiler of pressure vessel if a permit is required by the Boiler Law, Act No. 290, P.A. 1965, as amended.  A mechanical permit is required for the installation of a boiler in a private residence or in an apartment building with t capacity of less than six families.

A state mechanical contractor's license is required to secure a mechanical permit EXCEPT a homeowner may perform a mechanical installation in a single family dwelling which he or she occupies or will occupy.

Any questions regarding mechanical permits should be directed to the Mechanical Inspector at the Tittabawassee Township Office (989) 737-9108.