This is the process to request that the zoning classification for a parcel of property is changed or that the text of the zoning ordinance is changed. Only the property owner, the Planning Commission or the Township Board may initiate a change to the zoning classification of a parcel. Only the Township Board may approve a request to rezone property. A rezoning request requires a public hearing and notification of all property owners within 300' of the parcel.
Materials to submit
1. The Township will supply you with a rezoning review form. Please fill the form out entirely.
2. If you are requesting that the zoning classification is changed, a map of the location of the parcel with a legal description is required.
Time line for review
1. A rezoning request requires a public hearing. The hearing must be advertised at least 15 days in advance of the hearing date. Following Planning Commission action it is forwarded to the Township Board with their recommendation for the final decision regarding the rezoning. A rezoning typically takes three (3) months to complete.
2. All applications and maps must be delivered to the Township Office by 4:30 pm, at least twenty-eight (28) days prior to the date of the Planning Commission meeting. Planning Commission meetings are held on the third Monday of each month at 5:00 pm.
3. The Township’s planning consultant will contact you to discuss your request prior to the meeting. Should you wish to remain on the agenda for that month’s meeting, revised plans for parcels or text must be submitted by 4:30 pm two (2) weeks prior to the meeting. Plans that require a longer period of time to revise will be considered at the next month’s meeting.
4. Incomplete text change requests or parcel information will not be reviewed by the Planning Commission. It is our intent to provide you with an efficient review and approval of your request. This can only be done if the information is complete and prepared according to the Township’s ordinances and rules.
1. The Township charges a fee of $600 for each rezoning request. This fee pays for the cost of professional review of your request and notification of a public hearing.
How the process works
1. The Planning Commission will receive a copy of your request prior to the Planning Commission meeting.
2. At the meeting you or your representative will be given an opportunity to present your plan. Planning Consultant may comment on the request, including any recommendations or conditions for approval.
3. The Planning Commission will discuss the request and vote to recommend to the Township Board to approve, approve with conditions, deny or set aside the plan to a specified date, which is generally the next meeting.
4. If your request is tabled for incomplete information, you will have one (1) month to produce the necessary information and be reheard at another Planning Commission meeting. After one (1) month, your request will be removed from the active business of the Planning Commission for incomplete information.